Cavalier GSi Owners And Apprreciation Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member, ex. owner

3 posters

Go down

New member, ex. owner Empty New member, ex. owner

Post  acd1t Tue May 31, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi. It's great to see a forum specifically for the GSI. I don't own one now but was an owner years ago and I'm pleased to see enthusiasts keeping the GSI badge alive.
My first car was a Mk1 2.0 GL 4 door in red with Rostyles, second was a 2.0 GLS Sportshatch in Old English Red (bronze to everybody else!). I moved on to Opel Monzas and a '70 Ford Mustang Mach1 before returning to Cavaliers with the GSI.
The Mustang was proving a bit too much for me having just completely built the 351 Cleveland motor and the government then deciding to do away with leaded petrol. I wasn't going to have the 'heads off and incur any more expense. I had seen GSI's about and thought that they were an attractive car so decided to go for one of those next.
Being one for originality, trying to source a GSI that hadn't been messed with was proving to be more difficult than I imagined. This was back in 1997/8 and therefore weren't that expensive and still about if you looked hard enough.
Ironically I found one on my doorstep. It was a two owner, March '92 registered (J reg.) 4x4 which I wanted and better still in white. I know white isn't everybody's cup of tea but it does it for me. It belonged to a very respectable Chinese lad who was an engineer and so he had left the car totally standard, even down to the radio. The only minus point was that it had been put through a carwash on a regular basis and had never been polished.
I paid £5500 for the car (March '98) and set about cleaning it up. It needed two T-Cuts as the paint had 'bloomed' quite badly but after that and a good coat of polish, it looked like new despite the 83k miles on the clock.
It was a fantastic car to drive with the 4x4 and I changed by driving style accordingly, being more confident in the bends.
I had about 18 months ownership before I decided to move the car on. This was a shame as it was 'right' in many aspects but let me down in other areas. I had problems with engine management lights coming on for spurious reasons. There was never anything wrong as such but it cost me money each time the dealer had it in. The other thing that bugged me was one, maybe two, ticking tappetts. The dealer wouldn't commit to which ones they could be and would only replace them all at considerable cost. Enough was enough and I decided to change back to a Monza, part-ex'ing (they gave me cash!) for one of the rarest variants, a Series 1.5 S pack. One of 108 sold in the UK.
I regret having to sell, but when things start becoming out of hand you have to be realistic.
What happened to the car I don't know other than according to the DVLA 'site it hasn't been taxed for some while. Perhaps somebody knows the whereabouts of J462 URX.
I acquired some press photos of GSI's at one of the classic car shows years ago and I will post them in the photos section of the site.
Here are some photos of the car back in '99 sporting my own numberplate:

Thanks to those who have started this forum and to those who keep their GSI's on the road.
Alan

[img]New member, ex. owner Th_scan0001[/img]

[img]New member, ex. owner Th_scan0003[/img]

[img]New member, ex. owner Th_scan0002[/img]

[img]New member, ex. owner Th_scan0004[/img]

Last edited by acd1t on Tue May 31, 2011 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Make photos easier to see.)

acd1t

Back to top Go down

New member, ex. owner Empty Re: New member, ex. owner

Post  cavaliergsi Tue May 31, 2011 6:15 pm

Welcome to the GSi forum Alan. Thanks for the positive response - the forum is still new and slowly being built up, bit by bit!
Shame to hear you had issues with your GSi when it was relatively new - sounds like it could have been a 'Friday car'? White is a good choice too - that's what my 92 is Cool
Looking at your car list, I'm particularly loving the Mach 1 Mustang - what a car!
cavaliergsi
cavaliergsi
Admin

https://cavaliergsi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  c20xe Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi and welcome to the cavalier gsi owners club Alan! Very Happy

Love the write up and cool selection there! its a shame yes that you had those probs with your GSi 4x4, i have a 4x4 GSi too, but the 4x4 has packed up now, but is a brilliant car handling comfort etc.
Mines now just done 152 thousand, and passed the mot in jan 2011 with just headlamps high n low and a cv gaitor needed replacing! not bad for a nearly 21 yr old car.

Unfortunately i'm now selling it tho due to need a family car, i own a couple red top turbo's too, so a Normal car for a whle will do Very Happy

hope you enjoy the site !

c20xe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  acd1t Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks for the welcome! Reference the Mach1, I was disappointed that it had to go along similar lines to the GSi, but I have a '95 Mustang SVT Cobra now. It was my daily driver when I first bought it but as winter approached I got a bit concerned about it as yanks are not renowned for their handling characteristics in the wet.
As if on cue, an 'L' reg SRi 8v saloon appeared on a near neighbours driveway. They were elderly and I knew they didn't drive so I knocked on the door and asked about it. It belonged to their grandson and he was looking to sell as he had bought a new car and had nowhere to keep the Cav. Like my GSi, it was factory original and one owner. I had the car for nearly two years and when I decided to sell, I don't think the advert was 'live' for more than 48 hours before it was gone! I bought one of the last Audi Coupes to replace it. I have a Coupe as my 'daily' now, but a different one.

It's strange reading the above reply about the transfer 'box on the 4x4's. Every time I said I had a 4x4, it was generally followed by a sharp intake of breath and comments to the effect that I would have trouble. Thankfully I never did, but could never understand why they were prone to be unreliable and what failed in the 'box and why. Can someone enlighten me??

Alan

acd1t

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down